A trip to Knokke-Heist, Belgium!

This Easter we have decided to take our children to Belgium and I knew that traveling with children is hard work however, I did not regret it at all. It was the best short holiday we’ve had so far. We enjoyed it and the kids loved it too, so I can’t wait for our next trip in Europe.

How did we get there?

We drove from London and took the ferry. I really didn’t know what to expect and if the children will be nice during our journey, but it turned out ok. Best advice is to buy your ferry tickets at night time even if it’s middle of the night. If you can, get the children ready before they go to sleep so you just transfer them to their carseats but if not, don’t worry to wake them up – they will fall back asleep in the car.

It was a bit harder once we got to the ferry because they did wake up then and we had to keep them entertained, so if the budget is not an issue for you, buy EuroTunnel tickets. It will be much quicker and you don’t have to take the children out of the car so they can keep on sleeping.

What did we visit?

We stopped in Knokke-Heist for 3 days while we slept at my aunties house. The city is lovely and although we didn’t visit much there, the beach was just a 5 minute walk from where we lived and it was the most beautiful I’ve seen so far. Just so elegant!

It was very cold though, although it was the beginning of April, but I wish I could go back there during the summer. If you do visit in spring, make sure you pack warm clothes too, but to be safer, check the weather. Very Important!

The colours and design of the houses in Knokke-Heist is beautiful, although unfortunately, I didn’t take any pictures of them. It made me want to move there if I could. They also have a very long high street full of shops which reminded me of Oxford Street. I did not go into any of them because, well … children, and I kind of hate shopping.

Plage de Knokke in Knokke-Heist, Belgium

Plage de Knokke in Knokke-Heist, Belgium

Plage de Knokke in Knokke-Heist, Belgium

Plage de Knokke in Knokke-Heist, BelgiumPlage de Knokke in Knokke-Heist, Belgium  Plage de Knokke in Knokke-Heist, BelgiumPlage de Knokke in Knokke-Heist, BelgiumPlage de Knokke in Knokke-Heist, BelgiumPlage de Knokke in Knokke-Heist, BelgiumPlage de Knokke in Knokke-Heist, BelgiumPlage de Knokke in Knokke-Heist, BelgiumPlage de Knokke in Knokke-Heist, BelgiumPlage de Knokke in Knokke-Heist, Belgium

My auntie also took us to visit a very small farm where my toddler enjoyed running, playing in the small and beautiful playground that they had there, and seeing all the animals – pigs, ducks, sheep, goats. The farm is actually very close to Brugge, only a 15 minute drive. This is the address if you wanted to go – Kinderboerderij de 7 torentjes.

1. we went to Belgium at Easter too – but mainly the north and Bruges. This looks like there is lots of children though – a farm is always a good idea x

1. Knokke-Heist is indeed a pretty city. Sorry you didn’t visit it – maybe next time.

2. rhianwestbury May 10, 2018 at 7:29 pm

What a great idea to travel through the night so the kids sleep more, this would work for me too as I love a good car nap x

1. Yes, I definitely find this really helpful. It saves me from so much trouble 😛

3. This is the first time I am reading a blog about Knokke-Heist and I’ve been obviously missing a lot. The scenery is mesmerizing. How many days would be enough to stay and explore Knokke-Heist?

1. If you are the kind of person that likes to be out visiting from the morning until the evening, one day would definitely be enough, but two would be better just so you don’t rush and make sure you’ve ticked everything off the list. I think Knokke-Heist and Brugge can’t go one without another though, so if you visit any of these, you will need an extra day to visit the other since they’re only 20 minutes drive away :).

4. Oh my, you’ve taken some beautiful photos here. Sounds like a beautiful weekend place, I find it easier getting a ferry than a plane.

1. Thank you. I loved the beach, wish I can go back. The ferry is definitely easier since the kids have plenty of space to run around, whereas in a place, they don’t really have a choice.

5. It’s nice that there was a farm to visit for a fun activity for the children.

6. Whenever I think of Belgium I am thinking Brussels, Bruge, Antwerp, this is not a place I have heard of before but now added to my list of places to explore.

1. You should definitely pay Knokke-Heist a visit if you’re going to Bruge :).

7. I love the moments you’ve captured, especially at the farm. Looks and sounds like you had a great time, I’ve only ever been to Belgium on day trips but it’s always been lovely

1. Thank you so much Tanya 🙂

8. What a lovely looking place, I haven’t heard of it before. Your photos are gorgeous and I absolutely love Belgium so will need to add this to my wish list!

1. Thank you so much for your kind words :).

9. Belgium seems like a nice place to visit with one’s family. You seemed to have visited a quiet and beautiful countryside as it looks rustic and restful . From the look on the faces of the children they were not bored for a moment.

10. Firstly, your photos are gorgeous! Secondly, I have to visit! It’s always been on my bucket list actually. Looks beautiful x

1. Thank you so much Hannah 🙂

11. Your photos are gorgeous! I’ve always loved Belgium and you’ve truly captured it’s beauty x